[opensource] CSE 560 advice

Matthew Lang langma at cse.ohio-sate.edu
Sun May 21 18:26:09 EDT 2006

Mark Noble wrote:
> Profanity is just superstition, and the words that offend change over time.
> We call poultry meat "dark" and "light" because people decided to be
> offended at the mention of "breast" or "thigh".  Thank heavens we've
> lightened up.

Technically, we call poultry meat "dark" and "light" because of its
color.  Dark meat refers to slow-twitch muscles, which develop a dark,
reddish color due to a higher myoglobin content.  White meat is
comprised of mostly fast-twitch muscles with a lower myoglobin content.

Poultry species usually use their legs for standing for long periods of
time and thus their legs are made up of slow-twitch muscles, whereas the
flightless modern chicken rarely uses its breasts and thus is mostly
made of fast-twich muscle fiber.

However, if you ever eat a bird that flies often, like squab or duck,
their breast and wing meat is dark.

Opensource lurker and foodie,

Matt