FW: [opensource] CSE 560 advice

Mark Noble noble.48 at osu.edu
Sun May 21 19:43:15 EDT 2006

Sure we rationalize our use of "light" and "dark" now, but linguists focus
on the origins.  The science that supports referring to meat as light and
dark has developed since the switch.  And the birds that that people were
eating back in the days of the Puritans that were behind the switch tended
to eat a lot of flightless birds, so I'd guess that's why the terms as
commonly used tend to be skewed in favor of flightless birds.

I wonder if breast meat is light or dark on a penguin.

Regards,
Mark