[opensource] CSE 560 advice

Steven James Samuel Stapleton stapleton at mps.ohio-state.edu
Mon May 22 05:59:48 EDT 2006

Speaking from the perspective of someone who came in and went through as a
minor; be very careful with team/group oriented classes.

I've found that in most classes, a lot of people knew eachother, and had
groups formed up before going in. If you don't know people going into 560
and don't have a pre-formed group, I wouldn't do it. I always got the people
in the classes who weren't in a pre-formed group. There was a good reason
why they weren't, so you have to be careful. Not saying everyone is like
that, but doing 95% of a project is a bit disenchanting, and more than a bit
annoying. Thankfully, most of the projects are relatively trivial.

And in regards to another 670 comment, it may not teach ORM (actually,
pretty sure there was a decent blurb on it in 670 or 671, for those not
asleep), but it goes well beyond 670. Overall, since I use this stuff *a
lot* in my field, I found 670 and 671 to be quite beneficial, and while most
find it a dry subject, I actually enjoyed it. So, if you are going to use
DBs a lot, give it a shot, if not, don't bother.

-Jim Stapleton