[opensource] This is not a free speech controversy.

Jim Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon May 22 14:07:23 EDT 2006

Drew Yates wrote:
> Well, I was totally prepared to let this slide in the interest of "keeping
> on topic" and "not pissing off the listserve" but....

Too late.

This is not an issue of free speech.  It is an issue of courtesy and
personal dignity.  The computer science department provides us with this
listserve and as far as I know they have not set forth any guidelines as
to what is and is not allowed on their mailing lists.  Let's not give
them a reason to create one.

There are over 200 subscribers on this list and many others who follow
its content on the newsgroup.  If you wouldn't say it in the halls of
Dreese then you ought not say it on here.  There *are* faculty and staff
members who read this list.  Not to mention people from outside of our
department and outside OSU.  What you say reflects not only on the CS&E
department but also on us as an organization.  Therefore, please do try
and carry yourself with dignity befitting a future computer professional
and a member of the open source club.

Let's let this thread end here please.

Regards,
  - jim.