[opensource] CSE 560 advice

Steven James Samuel Stapleton stapleton at mps.ohio-state.edu
Mon May 22 15:02:59 EDT 2006

Please do not discount my direct experience and situation because you did
not go through a similar experience; what is "gradeschool" and "nonsense" is
thinking everyone is like you and everyone had the same experiences. If you
don't like the fact of what I saw, and you think things are different, fine,
but in all of my group classes, that was my experiences, and of the people I
worked with, around a dozen, only one had a clue about programming in any
languages, and he was also the only one who had a clue about the concepts
and ideas relevant to programming.

In the real world, I've found people like that don't last long, some do, but
by that point they tend to be in the minority. Yeah, you get people who
aren't as good, and don't agree, that's fine and easy to deal with, but to
be stuck in a group where you are the only one competent, or one of the only
two, making up half of the group, that is not real world that I've seen.
Maybe I'm just lucky in the work place, I don't know.

-Jim