[opensource] Group Dynamics

Michael Haig haig.1 at osu.edu
Mon May 22 23:26:18 EDT 2006

I have had very bad and very good group experience here at Ohio State.
 Personally, I guess I'm kind of like the Rambo/leader.  I don't
always want to be leader, but I generally end up with really passive
people and I end up stepping up as leader.  I generally go into all my
classes/group projects with the mindset of "I want an A" and that
usually ends up with me doing the brunt of th work.

The one thing I have found that defines group dynamics, at least at
the undergrad level, is how dedicated/interested the team members are.
 For example, in 560 all of us were really interested in the class and
into the project and we all worked well together and put in a lot of
hard work.  Now in some of my introductory engineering classes, I
ended up with people who were not interested at all and were just in
the class because they had to take it.  That was the worst group I've
ever been in and I ended up doing the entire project myself which was
not enjoyable.

The one thing I'm really looking forward to when I graduate is working
in "real" teams.  I really enjoy team work when you're in a good and
balanced team and I think that in the corporate world (at least in the
engineering side) I will be able to experience this more than at the
undergraduate level.

Michael Haig