[opensource] Group Dynamics

Steven James Samuel Stapleton stapleton at mps.ohio-state.edu
Tue May 23 00:06:25 EDT 2006

Can't say I've had much in the way of good experiences with my groups at
OSU, I've always been forced into the role of Rambo, although I've never
wanted it. My team members usually *tried*, but never quite grasped class
concepts (with one exception). I typically had to spend a lot of time
teaching them how do the task, and trying to get them to pull their weight
before finally giving in and doing it myself, because when it came down to
the bottom line, I felt getting a good grade myself was more important than
providing them an education that they either didn't want or were unable to
get. There were two exceptions to this. One exception did pretty well,
except the idea of thorough testing eluded him, and I found an error in his
program because he only used the test data the teacher provided, and didn't
want to run more test data (even though the teacher said he would use valid
input data that wasn't provided). The other person basically said that he
had a part time job that was more important, and other classes, so we were
on our own, admitting right up front that he was just going to leach off of
our work.

-Jim