[opensource] Group Dynamics

Joe gorse.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 23 00:58:25 EDT 2006

560 is not a very academic "learning" course. It's a "get shit done
that works" course, with enough structure to define software needs,
but not enough to warrant the "in-the-box" thinking that most courses
and labs merit.

My advice for the Lord of the Flies groups where everyone has a say,
is that you let your stars shine, the mediocre do easy stuff, and
minimize the damage of the negative hitters with waving your hands at
the smoke and mirrors. Don't be afraid to make people responsible for
support roles and not coding. Not everyone can code well or quickly,
so if you have people that can, use them for coding, not group
management or other things which distract them. For example, have a
person learn how to use Makefiles, a person to learn how to use
Automake, a person to learn Doxygen, a person to learn CVS or
subversion, etc. and then have them teach the relevant commands to
the rest of the group with examples. I wrote a total of no more than
100 lines of code the entire time I spent in the labs with my
groupmates, but don't think for a second I wasn't contributing. I
debugged, I taught people most of the tools, I supported the tools,
and I was always there to assist anyone who needed help. I was Tech
Support. =)  We were fortunate to have a professional Java coder, so
the design and group management was directed well by him. Overall I
thought it was a good experience and I will take with me forever the
concept of documentation first. Documentation is easier than
implementation, and it makes short cuts a lot more obvious.

One last bit is just a piece of coding advice: code half as clever as
you are, because debugging takes twice the cleverness to understand
the code you're reading.

Cheers,
Joe