[opensource] Office Computer Name

Peter Dietz dietz.72 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 3 01:57:54 EST 2006

My votes for Lick,
For those of you who don't know of him, he wrote a paper on man-machine
symbiosis, and was instrumental in development of the DARPA/ARPA project
that eventually became the internet.
 J.C.R. Licklider: *Man-Computer Symbiosis   *

"Man-Computer Symbiosis" is a key speculative paper published in 1960 by
psychologist/computer scientist J.C.R. Licklider, which envisions that
mutually-interdependent, "living together", tightly-coupled human brains and
computing machines would prove to complement each other's strengths to a
high degree:

"Man-computer symbiosis is a subclass of man-machine systems. There are many
man-machine systems. At present, however, there are no man-computer
symbioses. The purposes of this paper are to present the concept and,
hopefully, to foster the development of man-computer symbiosis by analyzing
some problems of interaction between men and computing machines, calling
attention to applicable principles of man-machine engineering, and pointing
out a few questions to which research answers are needed. The hope is that,
in not too many years, human brains and computing machines will be coupled
together very tightly, and that the resulting partnership will think as no
human brain has ever thought and process data in a way not approached by the
information-handling machines we know today."
 — Man-Computer Symbiosis, J.C.R. Licklider, March 1960

On 11/2/06, Karen Manukyan <manukyan.karen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Stroustrup
> He invented my favorite programming language C++ :))
>
> james scott dinan wrote:
> > Hey All,
> >
> > We've decided on a naming scheme for the club computers: we're going to
> > name them after famous computer scientists.
> >
> > Here are some names that were suggested:
> >
> > Turing
> > Dijkstra
> > Phong
> > Tomasulo
> > Floyd
> > Ritchie
> > Kernigham
> > Thompson
> > Licklider or "Lick"
> >
> > Any other suggestions?  We'll be renaming "dl190" next week so make your
> > opinions known!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >  Jim.

Peter Dietz