[Fwd: Re: [opensource] Office Computer Name]

Paul Betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Nov 7 11:44:01 EST 2006

> Subject: Re: [opensource] Office Computer Name
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 07:54:51 -0500
> From: B A Bair <bbair at cse.ohio-state.edu>
>
> Ahem...
> Where's the first programmer, Ada Lovelace? or the inventor of the
> compiler, Grace Hopper?

In this, I propose a deal: The OSUOSS club will name one of their PCs
Lovelace if you (Bettina) encourage ACM-W members to attend an OSUOSS
meeting. Personally, I think it's a win-win situation, as both of our
organizations are trying to get students excited about computer science,
so the more people we can get, the better! This department has far too
many students who aren't learning about what's cool and new about their
field, especially wrt women in computer science; I think that a lot of
CSE student organizations from the outside seem like "boys clubs" and
I'd like to see that go straight out the window, at least with OSUOSS.
We include _everyone_, regardless of how technical you are or anything
else, we definitely have topics for everyone, and if we don't, anyone
can make their own presentation on what they're interested in!

--
Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu>