[opensource] My Windows ran over my GRUB

Nate natrik at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 17:19:14 EST 2006

Well, there's a problem I'm working on with dual boot, someone might
have experience?

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop but I can't boot it ...

When I installed Ubuntu, I left the first partition /dev/sda1 empty in
order to later install winxp, which I hear really likes to be on the
first partition.   Linux booted fine (I think grub was resident in the
MBR)

Now that windows is installed, it will only see itself to boot, and
grub is no more.

There are 2 solutions I've found.

1)  Do something screwy with windows, put grub in the MBR and have it
point to the screwy windows thing along with any other OSes.

2)  Leave NTLDR in the MBR and copy some .bin file or other from a
grub operation into a directory on the windows installation, which
will add the linux boot partition to the list of options that NTLDR
presents.

I'd rather use grub, if at all reasonable, just to play with the
interface and make it pretty.

Surely someone else has come across this situation!

Help!

-- Nate