[opensource] My Windows ran over my GRUB

Steven James Samuel Stapleton stapleton at mps.ohio-state.edu
Tue Nov 28 17:37:19 EST 2006

Well, this goes back a while to when I dual booted (Back in the RH9 days)...

What I had done was install Linux, and keep the install/boot CD, shouldn't
be a problem with Ubuntu.

Next I'd install Windows, which overwrote the MBR, as you well know.

Finally, booted into Linux using the install/boot CD. I looked at the lilo
configuration information, and adapted it to work with my setup, and then
installed LILO to have give me the options to boot from Linux or Windows. On
reboot, both Linux and Windows seemed to work fine.

Sorry I can't give you more details than that, though I know Grub does give
you the option to back up your MBR when you install it, so you shouldn't do
too much harm if you keep the backup.

-Jim