[opensource] My Windows ran over my GRUB

Paul Betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Nov 28 18:12:05 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 17:19 -0500, Nate wrote:
> When I installed Ubuntu, I left the first partition /dev/sda1 empty in
> order to later install winxp, which I hear really likes to be on the
> first partition.   Linux booted fine (I think grub was resident in the
> MBR)

Always install Linux last, because it's the smartest about partitions.
Just create an initial Windows partition in Setup that is the right size
and leave the rest unpartitioned, then do the rest of the partitioning
in Ubuntu.

> There are 2 solutions I've found.
>
> 1)  Do something screwy with windows, put grub in the MBR and have it
> point to the screwy windows thing along with any other OSes.
>
> 2)  Leave NTLDR in the MBR and copy some .bin file or other from a
> grub operation into a directory on the windows installation, which
> will add the linux boot partition to the list of options that NTLDR
> presents.

3) Boot into Live CD, open terminal, "sudo grub-install /dev/sda"

Note that sometimes this won't quite work right, because the BIOS
sometimes likes to rearrange your drives, so that the picture
grub-install sees isn't the same as what the bootloader sees. In that
case, you may have to edit /boot/grub/device.map and make sure it lines
up with menu.lst

--
Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu>