[opensource] My Windows ran over my GRUB

Jeremy Rumpf rumpf.6 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 28 18:18:51 EST 2006

Grab a rescue disk and get the machine booted to linux. The rescue disk will
probably attempt to mount your current image/partitions somewhere
RedHat/CentOS/Fedora does this at /mnt/sysimage, I'm not that familiar with
Ubuntu.

chroot to your installed image:

chroot /mnt/sysimage

edit your grub.conf file and add the windows boot section:

vim /boot/grub/grub.conf

at the bottom add:

title Windows XP
	root (hd0,0)
	makeactive
	chainloader +1

reinstall grub to the MBR:

/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

reboot.... If you select the full boot menu and select "Windows XP", GRUB will
chain load the XP boot loader from the first partion (XP install partition)
which will subsequently load XP and start the boot process.

HTH,
Jeremy