[QUAR] Re: [opensource] Development Environment For C++

Brian Dittmer dittmer.6 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 19 16:13:29 EDT 2006

Being mainly a Java developer I use JetBrains IDEA
(http://www.jetbrains.com). Hands down the best IDE I have ever used.
Blows eclipse out of the water. If I'm doing in C/C++/Perl/etc. work I
generally use jEdit (http://www.jedit.org). jEdit is a solid,
open-source, java based text-editor with excellent syntax highlighting,
code folding and a slew of other features. It also has a great plugin
architecture and there are hundreds of excellent plugins available for it.

As for looking for a C++ IDE, I've heard good things about Eclipse's
C/C++ development environment. However, since I write in neither C or
C++ on a regular basis and Eclipse has burnt me in the past (Java dev) I
haven't used it. Also good things about KDevelop but again, haven't used it.