[opensource] Development Environment For C++

Nick Brown brownnic at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Oct 19 18:09:40 EDT 2006

I wouldn't have phrased it quite like that, but I do really like vim.  I
realize that there probably are plenty of other options out there that might
work better for some people, but vim with color syntax highlighting, ctags,
etc. can actually make for a decent edit-compile-execute-edit IDE.

I guess the most compelling reason to use vim for me at OSU is that I can
putty into stdsun from anywhere and do my work, with all of the comforts of
an IDE.  That said, you do have to do a little work to get a decent color
terminal (I ended up copying xterm-color from another system into a
.terminfo directory in my home directory).  Also, to get the most out of it,
you should get a nice vim rc file that maps some shortcut keys (such as
ctrl+a to execute the program you're working on), sets tabstops to something
reasonable, etc.

Let us know what you decide.

Nick