[opensource] Intel for OSU wireless, anyone?

Alexander J. Lingo lingo.13 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 20 13:04:57 EDT 2006

On 10/20/06, BRIAN SWANEY <swaney.29 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Apology accepted. I did not know any rules/norms of Open Source, being a
> freshman and new to computers as of a few months ago.

I'm glad we've come to understand one another.

Well, at this point, I can't always connect with Windows, and can never
> connect with Intel. In the past, Intel has been more reliable. Most of the
> replies seem to express at least similar problems, and that they can't get
> it to work on theirs, so they can hardly help me.

Have you tried their  suggeestions, though? It may be hard to get to work,
but even if you didn't get it to work, you would learn something useful.

The other thing I wanted to ask was about how to "imprison" Microsoft in
> Linux. That way, I could still stay compatible with assignments in Word
> format if I need to, but not otherwise expose myself to all of the security
> holes Windows has, and maybe even do some other partition or something so
> any hacker to Windows would only go to the "fake virtual" drive and leave
> everything else untouched. I also think the idea of locking Windows behind
> bars is funny, since that's where I want it. My dad uses Linux (as I
> mentioned), but strongly recomends that I not take on the Microsoft-Linux
> battle yet, when the ability to communicate with my professors is at stake.
> This seems like a reasonable compromise.

If your primary goal here is to use a free/open-source alternative to
Microsoft Office, you will find that
OpenOffice.org<http://www.openoffice.org>is a wonderful solution. It
will read/write Microsoft Office formats and
others with 99.99% accuracy. I have yet to have an issue using it for school
work.

If you're around, I could meet you sometime after 3:30 (I have Spanish
> 104.01 in CC building from 2:30 to 3:18). I'd like to know when you'd like
> to meet up if it's not a problem for you. Thanks for the offer.

Sorry Bub, I'm heading home for the weeked. Perhaps we can figure something
out when I return.

-- alex