[opensource] Ubuntu compatibility help?

Paul Betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Oct 23 10:34:21 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 23:39 -0400, BRIAN SWANEY wrote:
> I just installed the Ubuntu disk from the involvement fair (sort of...)
>  and need some help finding linux-compatible drivers. Is anyone able to
>  help me? Also, it's confined to about a 3 gigabyte partition because I
>  can't figure out how to either shrink or obliterate the Windows
>  partition (it's "locked"). I'm going to try calling OIT,but based on
>  their response to Intel, I'm not so sure they'll want to help me link
>  to their network using Linux.

What device are you trying to get working? Often the best way is to
Google for example, 'Netgear MA111 Ubuntu' (without quotes) and a lot of
people will have posted how to get it working online. In fact, generally
the best way to find info about Ubuntu is to search '<device or program>
Ubuntu HOWTO' and you'll usually get help.

Try unmounting it first (go to the terminal and type "mount" to see what
partitions are in use, then type "sudo unmount <the partition path
ie. /media/hda2>"). The Ubuntu CD by default mounts any partition it
finds so that you can do stuff with them. Don't call OIT, they'll be
confused; go to www.ubuntuforum.com , it's a great place to find help
with these things.

> In any case, I'd really like some help putting Linux into a bigger
>  partition. Maybe I'll have Microsoft run in a little Linux-cage from a
>  dual-operating system boot orf something like that, as described at
>  the last meeting, to write papers and stuff, or maybe I'll just
>  scratch it all together. I'm not sure yet, whatever works better.

If you run games, dual-booting is better; however if you just need some
special program that's Windows only, often VMware is easier to use. Here
is a guide that looks easy to follow for installing WinXP in Ubuntu: