[opensource] Re: [opensource-announce] Meeting Announcement: 10/24/06 - This Week in Slashdot!

Alexander J. Lingo lingo.13 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 23 21:33:16 EDT 2006

On 10/23/06, BRIAN SWANEY <swaney.29 at osu.edu> wrote:

> A website page might be hacked (what do I know?) or someone's credentials
> might be compromised (not to say that the members don't use common sense,
> but stuff does happen), so  perhaps some other way of signing up would be
> appropriate...?

The web-site form would probably just e-mail me the form. The only
information required would be a name and Buck-ID number.

There are two concerns here:
1. Records/Lazyness: We need a standard way to ask for access. If someone
walks up and asks me for access, I'll most likely forget about it. Also, we
need records of who has access to the room for our purposes.

2. Security: Along with the name and Buck-ID, we'd also want contact
information. The web form could be insecure. I'm thinking a good idea would
be a printout that one would fill out and turn into an officer. This could
then be saved as a record of who has access.

I'm not sure a log of improvements is necessary, but perhaps some other type
> of notes so other people can exploit improvements would be nice.

I'm really liking the idea of a log. Why should other people have to
rediscover what I have already discovered? Why should people have to wonder
why Gaim has mytseriously broken? They need someone to blame!

I've been in the office for a couple of hours today, and I've found the
manual to the network switch we have in the office, a SuperStack II, Switch
1000. I think what I've learned could be useful to others.

I'm going to go see if the Central Classrooms store is still open and buy a
notebook...

What do I know about any of this though? You can praise my ideas or just
> throw them out like a milk carton you forgot to put in the fridge. While I
> suppose I'm technically a member, I don't really know all that much about
> CSE so my opinion is just that.

Security consciousness is never a bad idea. Thanks for your opinions.
Discussion and ideas are always welcome!

-- alex

-Brian Swaney