[opensource] Re: [opensource-announce] Meeting Announcement: 10/24/06 - This Week in Slashdot!

Alexander J. Lingo lingo.13 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 23 22:09:59 EDT 2006

On 10/23/06, BRIAN SWANEY <swaney.29 at osu.edu> wrote:

> I think your response to the first selected portion of my text was about
> what I was trying to imply. Needless to say, we should log all entries in
> the card reader (don't most modern hotels do that?). The contact information
> and stuff is a given (at least I thought it was).

The problem is that CS&E is the Keymaster, and any key-card records would be
theirs and not ours. One I hand off the name/buckid to them, the information
is lost to me, unless I make a help request, which usually takes them 2-3
days to respond to.

I didn't completely dispute the log, but a full scale one might not really
be helpful, just slightly intimidating of those who might otherwise make
some nice changes. If someone makes a change, they should take note of it,
but they shouldn't have to fill in their name, number, signature, etc. just
because they improved the computer. For example: Use other version of
firefox, I patched the bug for (carmen.osu.edu, for example) and it loads
pages this much faster because it operates on 2/3 the amount of RAM as
before. Then probably put down your name (in case of changed settings so
they can be changed back, if need be). By the way, I have no idea what
"SuperStack II" or "Switch 1000" are (what a surprise).

Here's an example of how the log would be used. Let's say I did the
following things, in this order:

1. I added an "awesome_bob" account.
2. I removed gnome-terminal.
3. I broke Gaim.
4. I discovered how to turn on the SPARClass Station.
5. I fixed gaim.
6. Broke gaim again.

Here's what the log would look like:

10/23/06
-----------------
* Added user "awesome_bob"
* Removed gnome-terminal. Oops.
* Broke Gaim. Double-Oops.
* You can turn on the SPARClassic station with the switch on the back. It
will then boot up and you will be presented with a command prompt. The box
is running Debian, but has no X-server. You can play around with its Open
Firmware by pressing Stop-A. This is pretty awesome.
* Fixed Gaim. Rawk on, IMers!
* Gaim caught fire. Blame the spanish.
-- alex

It would be very loose. The idea is that when Bob comes in on Friday, he can
take a quick look at the log and see what has happened and who to blame for
it.

> Yes, my cybernetic hypochondria/paranoia doesn't always get in the way. I
> knew it was at least technically welcome, just subject to criticism. This is
> open source, but that doesn't mean someone who has no idea what he's doing
> (like me) can just come in and make a bunch of changes that don't really
> help but cause problems. I threw my ideas out there for review, but with no
> expectations that they would be honored as a beginner.

Your comments are just as welcome, respected, and useful as anyone else's.

-Brian Swaney