[opensource] Re: [opensource-announce] Meeting Announcement: 10/24/06 - This Week in Slashdot!

Nick Hurley hurley at todesschaf.org
Mon Oct 23 22:55:13 EDT 2006

BRIAN SWANEY <swaney.29 at osu.edu> writes:
> Oh yes, about the computer, it should probably have a name that
> doesn't really make sense, like a set of randomly generated letters
> and numbers (like dx2Rh86FwP), so black-hat outsiders don't know what
> system name to look for.

Normally I wouldn't bother replying, but this just tweaked my radar so
much that I have to...

I REALLY hope this was a joke, since it amounts to security through
obscurity (and it's not even really obscure, just convoluted), which,
as anyone with any security practice knows, is as good as worthless. If
it's not a joke, then just... wow. That's probably a little unkind of me
to say, but I feel it's better to be a little unkind and educate others
than to be kind and let people continue with misguided (and dangerous)
misconceptions.
--
Peace,
  Nick

   Miss Wormwood: What state do you live in?
   Calvin: Denial.
   Miss Wormwood: I don't suppose I can argue with that...