[opensource] Re: [opensource-announce] Meeting Announcement: 10/24/06 - This Week in Slashdot!

Alexander J. Lingo lingo.13 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 23 23:12:09 EDT 2006

On 10/23/06, BRIAN SWANEY <swaney.29 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Oh yes, about the computer, it should probably have a name that doesn't
> really make sense, like a set of randomly generated letters and numbers
> (like dx2Rh86FwP), so black-hat outsiders don't know what system name to
> look for.

The name of the computer is not really a security concern.

Count me in on the access, if you trust a freshman anyway. I can't think of
> all that much I'd use it for, already having a computer, but there are some
> other things like meeting someone to help me configure Linux and get away
> from Windows or possibly learn some basics on CSE. Maybe if you had a
> scanner or some things like  thaat it would be helpful. I'd contribute what
> I knew to help out, if I knew anything.

You can have access when everything is set up.

About miscellaneous hardware:

Any misc hardware would have to be donated from others. We don't have the
budget for buying anything except basic office supplies.

Another option we have is FreeGeek Columbus (http://www.freegeekcolumbus.org).
They are a non-profit organization that accepts donated computers and
hardware and then distributes they to non-profits and individuals in several
ways.

For individuals, they will give you a complete computer with open-source
software with a exchange of time with them. I.E, if you volunteer with them
to help out or to learn to build the box, you can keep it.

For non-profits, (such as us), they offer Hardware Grants. As long as we
help them out, and fit with their mission, they will give us hardware so
that we can allow people to use and learn from it.

FreeGeek is having a meeting at their new 4th street location Thursday from
7-9pm and I will be going. If anyone would like to join me and have a chat
with them they are welcome. I will announce this again at the meeting.

They are very nice guys with a very good mission. I've wanted to help them
out since I heard about them, but their location was on the other side of
Columbus. Now that they are closer, I think this is a great option for those
around the OSU campus.

-- alex