[opensource] Re: [opensource-announce] Meeting Announcement: 10/24/06 - This Week in Slashdot!

Alexander J. Lingo lingo.13 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 23 23:18:16 EDT 2006

Now, Now... Let's be nice to Brian. He's new here.

What Nick is saying is that the security practice known as "security through
obscurity" (StO) is a bad idea. I agree with him.

As Wikipedia states, "A system relying on security through obscurity may
have theoretical or actual security vulnerabilities, but its owners or
designers believe that the flaws are not known, and that attackers are
unlikely to find them."

Basically, StO is the idea that if one does not know about a systems
vulnerabilities or flaws, they they are not really flaws. This is a bad idea
in practice because once the flaws are discovered, then they can be
exploited. It is much better to have real security and assume that all flaws
are known and fix them before they are actually discovered.

An example is the lock-core system used in dorms I mentioned earlier. OSU
may assume that dorm rooms are secure because nobody knows about the flaw I
mentioned. That is security through obscurity. What OSU should do is
actually fix the problem instead of assuming it is A-OK.

-- alex