[opensource] Re: [opensource-announce] Meeting Announcement: 10/24/06 - This Week in Slashdot!

William R. Lorenz wrl at express.org
Tue Oct 24 00:53:34 EDT 2006

Greets,

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Alexander J. Lingo wrote:

> > Oh yes, about the computer, it should probably have a name that
> > doesn't really make sense, like a set of randomly generated letters
> > and numbers (like dx2Rh86FwP), so black-hat outsiders don't know what

> Now, Now... Let's be nice to Brian. He's new here.

> What Nick is saying is that the security practice known as "security
> through obscurity" (StO) is a bad idea. I agree with him.

Well, that and ... even with a randomized machine name, it'll either be
advertised via Samba services and/or still accessible by its IP address.

If someone wanted to find the machine on the network, they'd run a tool
similar to nmap or nessus to scan a block of IPs for open services.  I bet
that as I mention this someone's going to go and have fun with these toys
... be safe and respectful. ;)  Assuming the system communicates via IP,
obscuring the machine name has no real bearing; it still has an IP addie.

I'd recommend IPTABLES to firewall off a box.  Google for more nfo.

--
William R. Lorenz