[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

Charlie Hayes hayes.465 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 25 11:41:36 EDT 2006

At this point the general security of Windows is about the same as
GNU/Linux system.

The time and energy spent on installing, updating, and maintaining a
GNU/Linux system is arguably much greater than the time spent on the
same tasks in Windows or MacOS.

I would advise continuing in Windows. You should keep your
instillation of Windows up-to-date using Windows Update and make sure
to install Windows Defender and keep it up-to-date.

If you are extremely concerned with security, usability, and
compatibility, you may consider getting a Mac, however it will cost
you at least $700.

GNU/Linux would be a nice choice for 'tinkering', playing around, and
learning a Unix-like operating system.

Either way, I believe abandoning GNU/Linux for personal and desktop
use would be the best choice, at least until any distribution
achieves a level of maturity that Windows or MacOS has achieved.

-Charlie Hayes