[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

Paul Betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Oct 25 12:07:40 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 11:41 -0400, Charlie Hayes wrote:
> At this point the general security of Windows is about the same as
> GNU/Linux system.

Can you cite _any_ examples to back up this point? Or more simply,
please find me a Linux machine infested with spyware, and I'll find you
a Windows machine infested with spyware, we'll see who returns first.

> The time and energy spent on installing, updating, and maintaining a
> GNU/Linux system is arguably much greater than the time spent on the
> same tasks in Windows or MacOS.

This used to be true, but isn't anymore on Ubuntu; keeping your software
up-to-date on Windows is much slower. You have to go to Windows Update,
reboot a few times, then track down the updates for every program on
your machine individually. 'sudo apt-get upgrade' is much quicker.

> I would advise continuing in Windows. You should keep your
> instillation of Windows up-to-date using Windows Update and make sure
> to install Windows Defender and keep it up-to-date.

I would advise against it, but I agree with the advice about WU and
Defender.

> If you are extremely concerned with security, usability, and
> compatibility, you may consider getting a Mac, however it will cost
> you at least $700.
>
> GNU/Linux would be a nice choice for 'tinkering', playing around, and
> learning a Unix-like operating system.
>
> Either way, I believe abandoning GNU/Linux for personal and desktop
> use would be the best choice, at least until any distribution
> achieves a level of maturity that Windows or MacOS has achieved.

What is immature about Linux? (there are points that are, but they're
pretty small, and on par with the deficiencies in Windows and MacOSX). I
can do pretty much everything you can do on Windows, and a lot of things
you _can't_ do on Windows (try using someone else's iPod on Windows, or
making a PDF without paying extra).

--
Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu>