[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

ANDREW HANINGER haninger.3 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 25 12:08:42 EDT 2006

On Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:42 AM, William Triest wrote:
> I think the brand new user has the easiest time
> adjusting to linux.  I would highly recommend you
> give it an honest shot.
While I agree that he should give it a shot for fun, at times, consessions must be made. Right now, the ability to work with fellow students and professors should be more important than how the software you use is licensed.

Also remember that using open source software and Windows is not mutually exclusive. There is an abundance of free, open source software for the Windows world. AbiWord and OpenOffice are available, Firefox, Thunderbird, and Sunbird are getting pretty good. If you get yourself hooked on this multi-platform software, it will be much easier in the future if/when you want to switch from Windows to Linux.

If you don't need the resources that Linux is using right now, I'd recommend you keep both Windows and Linux and learn about both. If you need the machine or disk space that Linux is taking up and you really don't have the time to learn about it now, wipe it out and you can learn about it later. Get another machine and install Linux on that.

Definitely play around with different types of software. It's fun and a valuable experience in school and work.

Good luck!

Andy