[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

Charlie Hayes hayes.465 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 25 12:45:16 EDT 2006

On Oct 25, 2006, at 12:19 PM, William Triest wrote:

> Charlie Hayes wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 25, 2006, at 11:41 AM, William Triest wrote:
>>
>>> I think the brand new user has the easiest time adjusting to linux.
>>
>> What are you basing this on?
> If you've used windows, then you are indoctrinated with the way
> windows does things.  If you've never used a computer, you don't
> have a bunch of stuff saved in microsoft office format etc.  I'm
> not going to get into a flame war.  As someone who maintains both
> windows & linux, you can not convince me that windows is less of a
> head ache to maintain.  Linux, once setup (which is VERY easy these
> days

Every year I try the latest and greatest GNU/Linux distribution for
desktop use, and every year I am impressed at how little progress is
made on the ease of use front. This past summer I watched some using
Ubuntu. This user was forced to enter a command-prompt configuration
utility to adjust his resolution, color depth, and refresh rate. The
configuration was not automatic at all and required him to enter
timings and resolutions manually. Since Windows 95 (10 years ago), or
MacOS .. like 6 or 7 (~13 Years ago), you could change these settings
on-the-fly using drop-downs and sliders and options that were not
compatible with your monitor were disabled/invisible.

Installing and configuring GNU/Linux has gotten easier over time, but
it is still no where near Windows or MacOS. Of course I could be
wrong, these issues may have DRASTICALLY changed over the past ~4
months.

> ) just works.

I have never heard any one say "just works" in regards to anything
besides MacOS. I can't wait to see if your right =P

> When you get into enterprise settings with active directory and a
> windows update server, then per computer your time is very
> insignificant to maintain windows.  Still my RHEL/CentOS computers
> pretty much just work.  So as long as he doesn't need windows
> specific apps or wants game that are windows only, Linux is easier.
>
> To the original poster, if you want help setting up Linux, I would
> be happy to help you.  As long as you are happy using a GUI, it
> really isn't harder, yet  you don't need to worry about security
> nearly as much.  As you start learing new things, and enable
> services (like ssh or apache) then you will need to pay a lot more
> attention to things.  As long as you have a firewall blocking all
> ports and automatic updates, then Linux is pretty much secure.  To
> be fair, windows would almost be the same, if it weren't for the
> plethora of spyware.

The free Windows Defender will prevent spyware from executing on a
Windows machine. This is now a non-issue.

-Charlie Hayes