[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

Charlie Hayes hayes.465 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 25 13:25:15 EDT 2006

On Oct 25, 2006, at 1:11 PM, BRIAN SWANEY wrote:

> I don't understand Macs either, although $700 sounds pretty cheap
> (this Dell was $1,000). I don't really have the money to go out and
> buy another computer. I understand they have some compatibility
> issues too.

There are practically no compatibility issues with Macs.

> What/Where is "Windows Defender"?

You should not be asking questions like this. You should go to
Google, type in your question minus the where/what (in this example,
"Windows Defender") and then look at the results. In this example,
any of the first 3 links will get you to where you need to go. It
would be very helpful for you to learn how to use Google. Not only
will it save us time (not that we have a problem helping you), but
you will be able to find answers to your questions on your own almost
instantly.

> I think the tinkering thing is a judgment call I can't make. I'm
> minoring in CSE, so it depends on what kind of tinkering I'd do
> there. Would I be better off with Linux or Windows in CSE?

Linux would be an excellent choice because you get the GNU toolchain
built-in. Many CSE courses make use of these tools. However, you can
get the entire toolchain in Windows using CYGWIN.

-Charlie