[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

Nick Hurley hurley at todesschaf.org
Wed Oct 25 13:57:01 EDT 2006

"Sean Lee" <lee.2817 at osu.edu> writes:
> You guys are horrible...  Nothing is perfect, the only issue is that windows
> users are more prone to attacks.  Your machine sitting there, running
> windows or linux.. isn't going to just randomly become under attack of
> spyware, malware, crackers, and whatever else you want to blame windows a
> sucking at securing.

Actually, yes, your windows machine "just sitting there" with a network
connection WILL, in fact, come randomly under attack by malware and
crackers. There are MANY documented instances of people running tests
EXACTLY like that, you can google for it (I would give you search terms,
but my brain is not exactly in perfect working mode today). In fact,
even your linux box or your Mac OS X box will come under attack. The
only differences are (1) Linux and Mac OS X are generally more secure BY
DEFAULT than windows (not to say that it's impossible to secure windows
or that there's no such thing as an insecure linux or os x install), and
(2) the VAST majority of the malware available today is targeted at
windows, so even if you do have an insecure linux or os x install, the
chances of any of the malware or crackers trying to get into your
machine actually doing so is INCREDIBLY small.
--
Peace,
  Nick

   If you do the job badly enough, sometimes you don't get asked to do it
again.  -- Calvin