[opensource] Linux vs. Windows (and using both)

Nate natrik at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 14:01:32 EDT 2006

On 10/25/06, BRIAN SWANEY <swaney.29 at osu.edu> wrote:

> ...  Microsoft's security, however, resembles that of already digested
> burritos, making it a risky choice. I value security, ....

Already digested burritos aren't really all that awful on their way
back up.  Swiss cheese, though ... Gross.

I didn't read the whole thread here, but I scanned through enough to
see Defender mentioned.  Here are some third party (non microsoft)
freewares to tighten Windows security:

Kerio Personal Firewall  (configurable per network, per port, per IP,
per application) http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

AVG (AntiVirus, AntiSpyware)
http://free.grisoft.com

> but I'm not sure if Linux is for me (at least not right now), but I'm not sure.
> What would you suggest for someone who has had a computer for only
> 4-5 months, to return to Windows for simplicity sake, or continue with
> Linux  for security and tough it out by learning the harder one in the
> beginning (note that neither of the OS's content is deleted yet)?

I use both ... Use Windows as you see fit.  Mess around with Linux
when you have the time and inclination to break and fix and learn it.

You don't have to choose only one flavor of ice cream either.   :o)

If you use both, here's some software to make windows see ext2
partitions so that you can get to your data (like /home or /media) in
either OS.  (Two projects, use at your own risk):

ext2-IFS  http://www.fs-driver.org/
ext2fsd    http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/

IT IS STRONGLY CAUTIONED not to access the root partition (the
partition mounted at "/")  with windows -- all kinds of things will
probably break.

Of course Linux can kinda sorta deal with NTFS too, though I still
don't trust write support.

There's my 25¢

-- Nate