[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

Sean Lee lee.2817 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 25 14:16:45 EDT 2006

There are people who run tests stating that if your computer becomes a
target, then an attack is an issue.  I won't deny people crawl the net for
open targets, but for the most part.. being on OSU's network will protect
you from most of the well-known major attacks.  Run window's update, get an
anti-virus, and frequently run adaware and spybot.

The point I was making was that linux is just as hard to secure as windows.
Take a SuSE install out of the box (since that comes installed on a bunch of
computers) and I can rootkit the machine in 10 minutes.  I won't give the
details of this hack, but novell is already changing the configuration for
the next release, but that still doesn't change the fact that it can be done
on any OS.

This is my final message to this list on this topic, I'm writing suggestions
to Brian, not taking up attacks.. If you want to discuss security further,
I'll be happy to chat with you in a private e-mail.

Sean