[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

Alexander J. Lingo lingo.13 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 25 14:45:46 EDT 2006

On 10/25/06, Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 12:45 -0400, Charlie Hayes wrote:
> > Every year I try the latest and greatest GNU/Linux distribution for
> > desktop use, and every year I am impressed at how little progress is
> > made on the ease of use front. This past summer I watched some using
> > Ubuntu. This user was forced to enter a command-prompt configuration
> > utility to adjust his resolution, color depth, and refresh rate. The
> > configuration was not automatic at all and required him to enter
> > timings and resolutions manually. Since Windows 95 (10 years ago), or
> > MacOS .. like 6 or 7 (~13 Years ago), you could change these settings
> > on-the-fly using drop-downs and sliders and options that were not
> > compatible with your monitor were disabled/invisible.
>
> System->Preferences->Screen Resolution

 **Finds his flame retardant suit**

Actually, with my new Geforce 7600GS + binary Nvidia driver + Ubuntu Edgy
Eft RC, I see no options above 1024x768 or any refresh rates other than
60Hz, even though my monitor is capable of 1600x1200.

But, a lot of things in Ubuntu "Just work" - USB mass storage devices,
digital cameras, etc...

-- alex