[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

Charlie Hayes hayes.465 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 25 15:40:24 EDT 2006

I just installed Ubuntu (6.06) and I found the resolution box. It
seems like its populated with common items and not items populated
from my monitor. It doesnt list resolutions my monitor supports and
it doesnt list refresh rates my monitor supports.

The redraw was really slow so I googled around for installing updated
nVidia drivers. I found some Wiki that gives instructions but its
pretty crazy. I had to run a few command line commands, restart X/
Gnome (which didn't even confirm when I hit ctrl-alt-backspace),
create some config file, edit another, etc. On Windows I just
download an exe, run it, and click next a few times, then restart.
It's much easier.

Even with the updated drivers, redrawing is really slow. (plus there
are lot of redraw bugs in general) Another reason why GNU/Linux seems
immature.

I would expect USB mass storage and digital cameras to just on any
modern operating system. GNU/Linux has nothing special seeing as how
Windows and MacOS have supported those for many years.

-Charlie