[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

Nick Brown brown.1986 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 25 18:25:43 EDT 2006

As fun as flame wars are, they tend not to be productive at all.  In the
end, two or more people are just pissed off at each other and neither of
them are going to entertain what the other has to say.  We could have a
reasonable discussion about the security in Windows and Linux, but when
people start the smartass comments, the discussion looses value.  The only
way to have a productive argument like this is to respond to each other
without trying to make the other person look like an idiot.  It just isn't
necessary.  I don't mean to pick on this message, but it happened to be the
one that made me decide to respond.  I'm also not trying to imply that Brian
D. is the only person here guilty of any of this.  That said, comments like
"*gasp*" just piss people off.  It's rare that someone is going to respond
to a smartass comment and think "You know what, that guy just called me an
idiot, but he has such a good point that my entire perspective has been
changed."  Furthermore, spelling and grammar corrections with a smartass
tone aren't helpful or productive either (it's considered polite in argument
to give a person the benefit of the doubt, ie if you know what they meant,
you don't need to call them on it, or at least, you don't need to act like
his/her point was invalid).  Also, if a discussion is carried forward mainly
by smartass comments, people are going to loose interest eventually and stop
paying attention (although apparently I haven't).

The long and the short of it is, if you (generally, not talking to anyone
specifically) want to help the discussion, respond rationally /without
attacking the other person personally/.  If you want to piss people off,
then go ahead with the flame war.  Maybe I'm being naive, but I would expect
readers of this list to understand this.  That said, this isn't the first
(and probably won't be the last) flame war on this list, but if we want to
help the community, we should try and avoid them.

OK, that's all I've got.  Feel free to send me your death threats and
spelling corrections.

Nick