[opensource] Letter writing for OSS hardware support

Sean Lee lee.2817 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 26 09:34:37 EDT 2006

Also, I've gone through HP/Compaq, Dell, and gateway notebooks... all run
linux flawlessly.  I have every single component working, even the softkeys
and touchpad.  So, I'm not sure what else you need.  Toshiba notebook
support in linux is also up there, that I'm sure of.  and of course, the
thinkpads are just absolutely wonderful in linux.

You don't need the specific driver for each component, pcmcia works through
hotplug/coldplug modules, and wireless usually can be solved using
ndiswrapper in the worst case scenario.  But the fact that I have all the
softkeys and all intended features (and more) of my touch pad working in
linux, says that the support in linux for notebooks is 'on par.'

If you have some issues (I'm on a dell right now) ask the list, maybe
someone knows the answer to your problem.

Sean