[opensource] Linux vs. Windows

Ann Elliott elliott.222 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 26 13:08:30 EDT 2006

> I like clicking a link on a web site and it downloading the full
> application in a self extracting exe that I can download and install
> in under 1 minute.

My internet connection at home is dial-up. A brand new windows install
requires several hours worth of (dial-up speed) downloads, with
reboots. Corel has another hour or so of updates.  FreeBSD has packages
and ports; the packages just take a "sudo pkg_add <package name>" which
is no more complicated than a self-extracting exe. I tend to build off
the ports instead for no particular reason other than that either way
I'm not likely to have my program that night.

Anything really large, on the windows or BSD side, I download over a
faster connection and put it on my flash drive or burn to cd. (I think
I did download Open Office over dial up once; sharing the family's only
phone line means that I have the internet only after 10pm until
whenever homenet kicks me off, so it took about a week to download. A
different time, I burned the whole package onto a cd and had it working
that day).

-Ann