[opensource] Wifi with network-manager

BRIAN SWANEY swaney.29 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 27 21:47:55 EDT 2006

I wish I could help you more because I was having the same problem not too long ago. It's going to be a pain (especially if you are new to Linux) to fix this problem. I think the first steps to fixing it were something along the lines of opening "Terminal" under Applications --> Accessories. There, copy/paste this code into the command window:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

peaplabel
network={
ssid="osuwireless"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
eap=PEAP
identity="your-username"
password="your-password"
phase1="peaplabel=0"
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
priority=1 }

Note that you'll need to fill in "your-username" and "your-password" to the code. If it gives you an error, it likely means your driver needs an update, so run these 2 commands (one at a time and without the parts in parenthesis):

(1st command)
sudo apt-get update

(2nd command)
sudo apt-get install wpa_supplicant

Then try running the top command again. After this, type the command:

cd /etc/rcS.d

To make sure it worked, use the command:

ls /etc/init.d/wpasupplicant

After all this, an icon should appear towards the right of the taskbar at the top (I don't know how to describe it). Click this icon and fill in your credentials. It should then connect to osuwireless if the network isn't being stupid (which it often is).

This is what someone else told me to do. If it fails, I'm sorry and there is nothing else I can do.

-Brian Swaney