[opensource] Router(s) on OSU network may be breaking TCP window scaling

Wesley Haines kremit at wrpn.net
Wed Sep 6 23:49:28 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 22:48 -0400, Jim Dinan wrote:
> Hey Wesley,
>
> Does it make a difference if you disable window scaling?
>
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling

Hey Jim,

Oops, I forgot to mention that in my e-mail. Yes, doing the above allows
me to connect to all of the websites I mentioned. However, disabling
window scaling reduces throughput especially on high-speed lines... so I
really don't want to leave it that way simply for a couple of websites.

P.S. to Hostmaster: Your account bounced my original e-mail as
containing "unacceptable content" :/  If this one makes it through,
please let me know and I'll send another copy.

Wesley Haines

Network Administrator       Webmaster
WRPN Internet Services      weatherUSA.net
http://wrpn.net/            http://www.weatherusa.net/