[opensource] Anyone getting wireless to work?

William Triest triest.1 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 21 16:57:07 EDT 2006

If u particularly need help in getting the wireless up, i can . Iam not
sure about the school/CSE netwrok. The CSE network uses some kind of
Aegis client (which i never got running).

If you can get wireless to work in general, then I would be more then
happy to try and help you get on the school network.  The best
recommendations I have is to use wpa_supplicant.  My laptop is at home
or I would post my wpa_supplicant (hopefully minus user/pass).  If you
check http://8help.osu.edu/2672.html they have a copy of a
wpa_supplicant.conf file.

I *BELIEVE* the example is incorrect with the epol line, and that it
should be 2 not 1  (Last fall my wireless worked, then broke, and there
was some setting which I had to change from a 1 to a 2.  If I remember
I'll post when I get home and have had a chance to consult my
configuration.  I run gentoo BTW, but as long as you're using
wpa_supplicant it really shouldn't matter.

Also, a hint for wireless use on the "new" OSU wireless network (so far
I think that's only Hagerty Hall and possibly the dorms).  I was one of
the 100+ people that showed up to test Aruba's test installation in
Hagerty Hall.  I didn't realize my laptop supported 802.11a, until I was
trying to figure out why my connection was better then the windows
admin's.  I did an iwconfig, noticed I was in the 5gighz range (instead
of 2 gigagz).  I don't know if my laptop scans for a first in preference
to b/g or if it was smart enough to switch over to a, but in either case
its useful to know that 90%+ of people will be using b/g.  Since the
bottleneck for wireless in a crowded environment (like a crowded
classroom of laptop users), is getting air time, by using the
underutilized  a you can get much better performance.  Obvious, but not
something you might think to try.  Just something to keep in mind if you
have 802.11a support.

--Bill