[opensource] The Future of Open Source Club & Spring Workshops

BRIAN SWANEY swaney.29 at osu.edu
Sun Apr 1 03:23:30 EDT 2007

I'm all for the idea of sticking computers for demos around campus, if we can have people to watch them closely and security devices. Stick a few signs up advertising a free program, give a demo, and invite people to a meeting, with the promise of the given program (VLC is a good start, let them put their media files through it on the demo computer) in all likely forms (Mac, Windows, Solaris, Debian, etc.) and the source code on a CD when they come. Then, once they're there, explain what open source is about and how just getting a wild card media player is merely the beginning.

If someone can tell me how to get the VLC packages for different Unix platforms as files (rather than just installing them for myself in the terminal) I should have little difficulty in, and would be glad to write an ISO image. I already have the source code and up-to-date Windows installer. I think I may also have a few spare CDs too...

-Brian Swaney