[opensource] Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

James Dinan dinan at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Apr 20 12:36:13 EDT 2007

Razvan Lupusoru wrote:
> After much waiting (at least on my part), Ubuntu Feisty Fawn is finally out.
> I am currently in the process of upgrading. If you currently use Edgy (6.10)
> you can easily update by going to the update manager and clicking update
> next to the text where it says "new distribution release 7.04 is available".
> I hope this release will continue to amaze me just as every other release by
> Ubuntu. After I upgrade, I will tell you if I ran into any problems and how
> worth this upgrade is. Have a nice day.

FYI: So far I've upgraded two of my systems from edgy to feisty.  On the
first system, everything worked great: no package conflicts, no missing
nvidia drivers, easy as pie.

Installing packages on the second system also went off without a hitch.
 Except, of course, for one snafu: I had given up on broken UUIDs and
changed /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst manually to point at /dev/hdX
device nodes.  After the upgrade, the driver for my IDE interface (Intel
Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)) has
mysteriously changed and my disks are now /dev/sdX rather than /dev/hdX.
 Of course, this is partly my fault for being obstinate and refusing to
use the device UUIDs.

Apart from that, it was a pretty painless upgrade.  :)

 ~Jim.

Dept Computer Science and Engineering
      The Ohio State University