[opensource] WINNAR

Brandon Mintern mintern at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Apr 25 15:55:52 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:30:17 -0400, paul c betts wrote:
> - The big one is, our Internet is (of course), messed up; it works
> intermittently but fails for 5 mins at a time for absolutely no reason.
> It's either the crappy D-Link router we've got, or CSEs network again.
> I'll set up the PC to directly connect and we'll see if the problem
> persists.

I don't know if this is at all similar, but I have a small home network
set up, and I have no lag issues at all.  I don't use any routers.  I have
a FreeBSD box (but it could just as easily be Linux) with two 10/100
ethernet ports, one gigabit ethernet port, and one wireless card.  One of
the 10/100s is hooked up to my outside connection, my main desktop
computer (running Gentoo) is hooked up to the gigabit, and we have a
laptop which runs off of wireless and sometimes gets hooked up to the
other 10/100.  I simply bridged all the interfaces together so that
everything looks like a single network, just as a router might do.

The performance is great.  My girlfriend actually works beside me on the
FreeBSD computer XDMCP'd into my Gentoo machine, at the same time that I
am logged into the Gentoo machine, with no lag at all.  This means that
the gigabit connection is being used for my internet traffic, while my
girlfriend's packets get routed through the connection twice for each
request (XDMCP to Gentoo, internet request back to the FreeBSD machine).
Again, this all works pretty much without a hitch.

So I guess what I'm suggesting is perhaps bypassing the router altogether
by setting up your own routing system.  It's not that hard to do, and it
might solve some of the problems you are having.  Even with the
inefficient setup I have, I don't have any problems.