[opensource] PDF Editing

Marc Uhrich uhrich.1 at gradsch.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jan 25 12:03:53 EST 2007

> Does anyone know how to unpack/compile/install something from a source

> code?

Since no one answered your original question, I think I'll give it a go.
Yes, I do know how to unpack, compile and install something from source.

However, the person distributing the PDFEdit package also knows how to
do this and, helpful as they are, decided to include the instructions in
a file called README in the root directory of their source.

But, if brevity is your style and email is your preferred format of
reading material, I'll include the (very general and overly
standardized) method of building something from source.  Assumptions
will be included in the ().

1. Download the package (probably in .tar.gz or tar.bz2 format)
2. Uncompress the package run-> tar -zxvf packagename.tar.gz (for
tar.gz)
3. Read the README file distributed with the package. This will most
likely have specific instructions that should be used if they vary from
my included steps 4,5, and 6.
4. In the new directory run-> ./configure (3,4,and 5 require that you
have development tools installed)
5. In the new directory run-> make
6. In the new directory run-> make install
7. Make a sandwich using rye bread with a meat and cheese of your
choosing.
8. Toast and enjoy.
Note: Steps 7 and 8 are optional but encouraged.

A caveat is that the package may need libraries or other packages
installed.  In which case, the configure or make will fail.  The
necessity of these items will be outlined in the README making reading
it a necessary evil.

Hopefully, this gives you an idea of how installing software from source
works.  In the future, ask a more specific question like "I downloaded
the tar.gz file from the intarweb through its series of tubes.  What
should be done after this point?" This type of question is nice because
it gives scope to the question and lets people know where to start.
Your question required me to either explain the entire process or ask
another question to understand where you were having an issue.
Generally, people won't do the former and the latter is unnecessary.

Cheers,
Marc Uhrich
Systems Engineer @ OSU Graduate School
247 University Hall, 230 N Oval Mall