[opensource] Ubuntu Installation Problems

Paul Betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jan 25 19:03:28 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 18:45 -0500, CHRISTOPHER ROLLEY wrote:
> I keep getting a X-server error message that states that something is
> wrong with the Graphics and it is unable to display a GUI and it just
> takes me straight to the shell.

This is a ghetto fix and I hope they fix this problem once and for all
on Ubuntu soon because it seriously makes Linux look bad

In the shell, try typing:

sudo su
nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Go to the 'Section "Device"' line and below it, replace whatever the
Driver line says with "vesa". Also, look for the screen resolutions in
the file and replace them with 1024x768

Then run:

/etc/init.d/gdm restart

That should hopefully do it. If not, there's other fixes, google online
and you'll find a few. Have no fear by the way, Ubuntu works perfectly
with all ATI, nVidia, and Intel video cards once it's installed.

--
Paul Betts <bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu>