[opensource] Call for devs: gnome-format

Paul Betts bettsp at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Jan 30 13:31:27 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 12:41 -0500, Marc Uhrich wrote:
> Hey Paul,
> I was taking a look at your python program and was having a little
> difficulty making sense of it.   I don't really have a lot of experience
> building software for *nix platforms, so the question may be sort of
> silly or indicate a broader lack of understanding.

Not at all, don't worry about it!

> Now that I got the disclaimer out of the way, I read the README and
> INSTALL files located in the source I downloaded from your subversion
> site.  Both of them say to use the configuration script ./configure.
> The script appears to be missing in the files I downloaded.  Is the
> script missing?

This file typically isn't included in Subversion repositories because
it's generated from configure.ac. Instead, use the ./autogen.sh and
pretend it's ./configure. After that, you can run configure (unless you
change configure.ac, then you need to rerun autogen.sh). When you create
an distributable archive (a .tar.bz2) using "make dist", the configure
script gets included.

autogen.sh is really simple. only 5 lines or so:

aclocal
libtoolize --force --copy
automake -a
autoconf