[opensource] Helix Player

BRIAN SWANEY swaney.29 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 5 17:39:52 EDT 2007

Sorry about that. I have a fail-safe so I can see details about blocked messages if their score is low enough, and if need be, recover them. I don't want to say why publicly, but you should have been accepted. Your unrecognized address from outside school (gmail.com) tripped the filters; they are mostly white/black list and string filters, so a link would have little impact. Anyway, I whitelisted your address so you won't get filtered again (if you do, lavagolemking at aol.com is less strict, so tell me your address there, and I'll exempt it). For future reference, it automatically accepts any address from the school, bypassing all the rules. I don't want to publicly describe it, because that would leave me open to spammers, with little means to block them, so I'll reply personally.

As for VLC, yes that is my favorite media player. I try to configure that MediaPlayerConnectivity Firefox plugin to play any media outside the browser and into VLC (doesn't currently work to well, so I just read the source, find out where it's coming from, "wget" it, and play it in VLC). RealMedia is one of the few things VLC will play. It plays protected DVDs, but not RealMedia. That's why I asked about Real Alternative. I was mostly worried about spyware residue, as opposed to playing RealMedia files. I know that some programs with these bundles leave the spyware behind when you uninstall them (in the cases when they can be uninstalled), and I'm worried about if that is the case with Helix, and if anyone knows how to disable  it. I made good use out of SpyBot to block RealSpy, as I like to call it, in Windows way back (find and disable the realsched.exe directory in msconfig in safe mode, then block its registry change with TeaTimer.exe to keep it from regenerating), but I
 don't think that's an option in Linux.

-Brian Swaney