[opensource] Meeting Announcement: 3/6/07 - OPENSOURCE CLUBMEETING ANNOUNCEMENT: ======================================Date: 2/6/2007 Time: 7:00PM Room: 480 Dreese Labs Topic:Rockbox: Open Source Audio Player Firmware Presenter: Alex Lingo Roc

Marc Uhrich uhrich.1 at gradsch.ohio-state.edu
Mon Mar 5 11:02:20 EST 2007

Although installing software on university machines would be a tough sell, you may be able to use/create a live CD with the game preinstalled on it.  If my memory serves me correctly, this was done with Unreal Tournament 2003 demo, Nvidia drivers, and Knoppix (great for getting people aware of Linux as a modern operating system).  It loaded the whole system into memory, so the performance was acceptable.  You could also create disk images and load them onto thumb drives, which is just a variation of the live cd...but you get the point.  Perhaps a new lab on campus already has 8+ computers with enough mustard to play some games and is already networked?  Physically moving computers out of a department sounds like a pretty big liability to me.  I know our inventory/purchasing manager would flip out and cut peoples heads off without giving a what if she heard that I was attempting something like that.  Anyway, hope this information helps.
Marc Uhrich
Systems Engineer @ OSU Graduate School
247 University Hall, 230 N Oval Mall
Columbus, Ohio  43210