[opensource] mplayer fullscreen issue

Marc Uhrich uhrich.1 at gradsch.ohio-state.edu
Wed Mar 21 10:17:19 EDT 2007

Hello everybody,
I'm having an issue getting mplayer to fill the whole screen while using
an accelerated output on my DLP TV (1280x720).  Initially, I was using
the -vo mode of x11 in conjunction with the -zoom option.  This produces
an output that does fill the entire screen; however, without video
acceleration the picture is choppy.  While this can be mediated by
allowing frame dropping and some other mplayer flag magic, I would
rather use the video card in my computer to, well, do its job.

So, I used envy (handy little script to automate the download and
install of drivers for ATI and NVIDIA cards) to download and install
some recent Nvidia drivers for my Geforce 6200.  I swapped the nvidia
driver for vesa in xorg.conf and enabled DRI.  Now, when I run a video
in fullscreen using a -vo of xv, sdl, gl, or gl2 and the zoom option
there is a 4 inch black border around the screen.  While the video is
silky smooth, the black border is sort of frustrating.  I've looked
around extensively to find options to fix this problem but to no avail.
Is there a way to mediate this problem?  Any hints are greatly
appreciated.
Marc Uhrich
Systems Engineer @ OSU Graduate School
247 University Hall, 230 N Oval Mall