[opensource] Dear Everyone - Take Lisp

Lee Ayres ayres at acm.org
Sat Mar 24 17:50:11 EDT 2007

I took lisp with Matt in my senior year.  In the N years since, I have
developed production code in Common Lisp, Java, C#, Python, Perl, and
others, and mucked around in a dozen more languages for the heck of
it.  Every new language expands my horizons (yes, even C#) though none
has had a stronger influence on my approach to problem solving than
the lisp family of languages. Often, even when I am producing an
application in one of the lower languages, I will still mock the
complicated bits of it up in lisp or scheme so that I can concentrate
on solving the problem at hand away from the shortcomings and
idiosyncrasies of the final implementation language.

I will warn you however; lisp is a double edged sword. While I have
been more proficient in other languages as a result of learning Lisp,
I have been correspondingly less satisfied with the code I have
developed in them.  Lisp is like great wine; once you learn to
appreciate it you lose your stomach for the supermarket brands.  But
don't ever let that stop you from trying the Côte de Nuits.

As a quick aside and with a nod in Mark Carroll's direction, Haskel is
pretty bitchin' too.

--
Lee Ayres <ayres at interhack.net>